“The work of a spiritual director is to detect and transmit how the Divine other is present in another’s life and to listen another’s soul into its own discovery…”
Spiritual Direction is an ancient and well-trusted method that has worked for many across the ages and it can be found across many faith traditions.
Spiritual Direction is the process of accompanying people on their spiritual journey. Others may use the term Spiritual Mentor or Soul Friend. I like to think that the word ‘Direction’ implies an attentiveness to the direction in which the spirit is working in a person’s life, rather than a person acting as a director.
A listening, caring and contemplative approach which reflects back to the person what he or she is saying, can help to unlock the potential within and lead to a fuller encounter with the sacred and holy, leading to a fuller and more satisfying life.
How can Spiritual Direction help?
You may be seeking to:
- Make better sense of your faith journey.
- Find clarity and support at a time of significant life choices.
- Respond more deeply to your own unique spirituality and move forward towards wholeness and freedom in every aspect of your life, body, mind and spirit.
- Move beyond a grief/significant loss.
- Find a Guide for making The Spiritual Exercises of St Ignatius.
What can I talk about?
You can bring anything to talk about, but you do not have to talk all the time. Sometimes space to be silent is simply what is needed. There are no expectations. There is no judgement.
- Sometimes you sense something is happening in your life and you want to make sense of it in a spiritual context.
- Sometimes there may be a particular spiritual issue to work through.
- Sometimes you might want to talk about your prayer life.
Spiritual direction offers many other benefits:
- A deeper connection to your higher power or true self.
- More serenity, freedom and wisdom in your life.
- An awareness of a greater peace through a more contemplative prayer life.
- A greater sense of connectedness with creation and others around you.
How I work as a Spiritual Director
- There is an initial free, no obligation interview (Zoom, WhatsApp, FaceTime or in person) to see if working with me is right for you.
- Confidentiality: what you say will not be disclosed to anyone else (subject to legal, moral and professional duties).
- There are regular opportunities to review the process and its rightness for you.
- Guideline fee £45.00-£60.00 per hour, to be discussed at initial interview (different arrangement negotiated for Ignatian Exercises).
- I follow a recognised professional code of conduct and good practice.
- I comply with all current legal safeguarding guidelines.
- I hold public liability insurance.
- I attend regular supervision and training days to keep myself up-to-date with issues.